Wondering how this whole virtual class thing is going to work? We've got some tips and tricks to help you make it a success!
We're working overtime this weekend to prepare for our transition to virtual classes on Monday and with every passing minute I'm feeling more excited - well, excited and scared (Sondheim anyone?) We wanted to share some tips and tricks to make sure your first Virtual Class goes off without a hitch!
Make Your Virtual Class An EVENT!
This should be an exciting and special part of your child's weekly schedule, just like our in person classes! Talk to your child about what is going to happen before the class. Explain that their teachers are going to do class on the TV/phone/iPad/computer this week. And (if you turn on the video feature) that we'll be able to see them singing and dancing along and even talk to them through the screen! Mark it on the calendar. Have a countdown going. Invite big siblings to join in on the fun. The Goal: Get your little one excited to participate!
Figure Out Your Virtual Class Set-Up Ahead of Time
We recommend doing the following at least one hour before your first class!
- Decide on a designated space in your home to use for class. (This should be an area where you and your child have space to sit on the floor, dance around, and get comfy!)
- Create a Zoom account and download the necessary apps and plug-ins to participate!
- If you are planning on streaming class from one of your laptop/handheld devices to a TV, do a test run and make sure it works. I tested my AppleTv today and it worked great using Screen Mirroring.
- Gather your toys and props ahead of time. Each week, we'll have a list of toys that we'll be using during classes. There will be links to purchase them through Amazon Prime if you're looking for some new things to add to your toy rotation as well as ideas of things you can use instead that you probably have lying around the house already!
- Have a clean-up bin/bag ready to go!
- Mentally prepare yourself for the fact that your child most likely will not stay engaged for the full class and that is OK! If they wander off or get distracted, let them. There is no right or wrong. Do what works best for you and your child!
Plan on Participating in Class with Your Child
Just like our onsite classes, our virtual classes for 0-5-year-olds are going to be interactive and activity-based.
WE DO NOT WANT OR EXPECT YOUR CHILD TO SIT IN FRONT OF THE TV AND WATCH US FOR 45MIN!
Let virtual classes be a chance for you and your child to spend time together doing activities that we have curated for you. You can sit back and relax while we do the heavy lifting of figuring out how to entertain them.
DON'T WORRY, WE WILL BE SHARING PLENTY OF CONTENT OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS THAT IS DESIGNED TO OCCUPY YOUR KIDDOS WHILE YOU CHECK OUT FOR A BIT OR GET SOME THINGS DONE AROUND THE HOUSE! SPEAKING OF WHICH, HAVE YOU SUBSCRIBED TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL?
Get a Bubble Machine 😂
Seriously though. If your little one (or big one) loves bubbles and you haven't gotten one yet, what are you waiting for? This will not only help to ensure a successful virtual class but it can't hurt the effort to stay sane over the coming days and weeks.
We've got links to some of our favorite bubbles machines delivered right to your door courtesy of Amazon Prime! That said, any bubbles you have lying around the house will work. Don't have a machine? Totally Fine - The nice thing about virtual classes is that we'll take care of the singing while you blow the bubbles!