Valentine's Day is the perfect occasion to express love and appreciation for the special people in your life. Whether it's your significant other, children, parents, or friends, finding the right gift can make the day even more memorable. Here's a curated list of 10 great gifts that cater to the diverse preferences of your loved ones.
- Jewelry: Surprise your significant other with a piece of handmade or customized jewelry. Consider a necklace or bracelet with a pendant engraved with sentiments of love, a special date or both your initials. Customized jewelry adds a sentimental touch, making it a cherished keepsake. Where to Shop: Rach B Jewelry (Bucktown) has beautiful handmade "Love" (and "Mama") pendants in her collections. G.V. Jewelry (Bowmanville/Andersonville) offers custom solid gold nameplate necklaces in yellow, rose and white gold. You can also find several custom jewelry options on a site such as Etsy.
- Spa Day or Massage Gift Certificate: Treat your loved one to a day of relaxation with a spa day or massage gift certificate. This thoughtful gesture shows that you value their well-being and provides an opportunity for them to unwind and indulge in self-care. Consider a membership or gift certificate to Oasis Face Bar (Lincoln Park or Wicker Park) which offers amazing 30-minute facials and is perfect for a busy parent! If you are looking to give the gift of a full day of pampering then look no further than the Peninsula Chicago Spa, or visit AIRE Ancient Baths for a serene experience.
- Cooking Class: For the couple (or family) who enjoys spending time together in the kitchen, a cooking class for two can be a delightful experience. Choose a cuisine you both love and enjoy learning new culinary skills while creating lasting memories. Classes are available locally at places such as Sur La Table (which also offers virtual classes), The Chopping Block, and Bettie's Chicago or you can find a chef who will travel to you for a class in the comfort of your own home!
- Personalized Storybook: Create a magical experience for your children with a personalized storybook where they become the main characters. Many online platforms offer customizable children's books that make reading a fun and personalized adventure. ISeeMe is an online store that offers a wide selection of great stories to choose from for Valentine's Day or just because! Or you can get crafty and creative as a family and write & illustrate your own stories to gift a loved one. Illustory can be found at local toy shops if you want to go the hands-on route!
- Plan a Family Game Night: Foster family bonding with interactive games or puzzles. Choose age-appropriate options that cater to your children's interests, providing hours of entertainment and a chance for quality time together. Local shop *Play Toys and Books (Edgewater, Lincoln Park, West Loop & Logan Square) is a great place to find a new game, puzzle, or activity to enjoy as a family. WARNING: It may be hard to resist all of the cute and amazing items at *Play!
- Family Photo Album: Compile cherished family photos into a beautifully crafted photo album. This sentimental gift allows your parents to reminisce about special moments and celebrate the love and unity of your family. If you haven't had professional photos taken in a while then TK Photography Chicago has you covered this Valentine's Day with a snapshot session at Bubbles900 and or an in-studio mini-session!
- Gourmet Gift Basket: Treat your parents to a gourmet gift basket filled with their favorite snacks, chocolates, and treats. This indulgent surprise is a delicious way to show appreciation for all they've done for you. Kids can help you shop at local spots such as Potash Markets, Spice House, Eataly, and even your local grocery store to build your own, or you can check out an online service such as Goldbelly or which offers a huge variety of seasonal and regional foods that can be shipped just about anywhere.
- Plan a Date to Connect: Life keeps us busy and on the go, so what better gift than time together? Plan a date day for just the two of you, or as a family. Check out a show during Chicago Theatre Week, visit one of our amazing museums, and check out a great restaurant! Visit the Macaroni KID Chicago calendar to find inspiration.
- Give Plants instead of Flowers: Flowers are a lovely gift, but this year consider giving a plant instead! Plants are longer lasting, especially if you go for something low maintenance, help clean the air indoors, and they can help boost moods during the gray winter months. Check out Plants Chicago (Wicker Park) or Plant Salon (West Town and Bucktown) for a local variety of plants, classes and gifts.
- A Thoughtful Handwritten Letter or Card: Don't forget that a heartfelt handwritten letter or card can be a timeless and meaningful gift. Express your love and gratitude, recount shared memories, and let your loved ones know how much they mean to you. Thee are great on their own and can be great additions to any other gift you give.
This Valentine's Day, celebrate love in all its forms by selecting thoughtful gifts tailored to the preferences of your significant other, children, parents, and friends. From personalized jewelry to virtual experiences, these gifts convey affection and appreciation, making the day extra special for those you hold dear.